Common Toxin facts for pet parents!

Don’t add to the pain

Did you know that most over-the-counter human pain relievers are unsafe for dogs and cats? Ibuprofen (Advil), acetaminophen (Tylenol), and naproxen (Aleve) cannot be broken down in your pet’s body the same way they are in ours. Consult your family veterinarian prior to administering any unprescribed medications.

Heard it through the grapevine

While the toxic dose of grapes/raisins remains unknown and seems highly variable between pets, a single grape has been know to cause kidney failure in susceptible animals. Definitely not worth the risk!

Oh Nuts!

Macadamia nut toxicity causes acute paralysis, but luckily symptoms generally resolve over 24-48 hrs with supportive veterinary care.

No Substitute

Xylitol is a common sugar substitute found in many sugar-free products including some mints, candies, chewing gum products, children’s vitamins and oral and dental care products. Even a small amount can result in dangerous and potentially life-threating low blood sugar levels and acute liver toxicity.

Say no to drugs

According to Pet Poison Helpline, about 40 percent of feline cases involved cats that improperly ingested human or veterinary drugs.

Avoid insecticide exposure

Exposure to household insecticides such as lawn and garden products, sprays, powders, or granules often occurs when a cat walks through a treated area. More serious poisonings can be seen in cats exposed to concentrated topical flea and tick medications meant for dogs.

Flowers? You shouldn’t have!

True lillies (Lilium and Hemerocallis spp.), including the Tiger, Day, Asiatic, Easter and Japanese Show lilies, are among the most deadly and cause kidney failure in cats.

Household danger

Some household cleaners can harm your pets. Some symptoms of toxicity include profuse drooling, difficulty breathing, vomiting, and even organ damage. With more dangerous chemicals (e.g. corrosive), oral ulcerations and burns to the mouth, skin, and eyes may occur.

Your big backyard

There are some things in your back yard that can be toxic to our pets. Mushrooms can cause a wide variety of toxic effects, some of which can be life threatening. Mulch piles will often grow mold that can cause neurologic signs, most commonly tremors and/or seizures. Consult your family veterinarian immediately if you know your pet ingested either of these things.

Vet Services
We provide a wide variety of veterinary services to assist you and your pet. Learn more about the services we offer and how we're different.

Pet Health Checker
Use our Pet Health Checker tool to help you decide if your pet's symptoms require immediate attention or if you should continue to monitor those symptoms at home.

Pet Health Library
We share the same goal – ensuring your animal companion is healthy and happy!